Wednesday, November 24, 2010

To taste is to live

The five senses open us up to the world of things that we are able to see, hear, touch, taste, smell. Helen Keller states, "...of all the senses, I am sure that sight must be the most delightful." I agree with her on this, but there is another of the five senses which I most adore. That is...the sense of taste! I think most everyone would agree with me in that we all enjoy good tasting food. Yum!
Eating is a part of everyday life. It's what keeps us going each and everyday. And being blessed to live in such prosperity, we have so many options of delicious things to delight our pallets with.
So from the top of my head these are some of the things that I just LOVE to taste: chocolate, cheese cake, spaghetti (especially my Dad's secret recipe), flan, orange juice, homemade bread, ice cream, yogurt, peaches, bananas, green peppers, mints, water, homemade cookies, fudge, moist and airy chocolate cake, milk, fruit smoothies, garlic, strawberries and more!
Imagine what life would be like, if starting tomorrow, you could not taste anything! I think I would be really sad if that happened to me. The varying delightful, pleasant, subtle, intriguing, stunning flavors, textures and tastes of different foods bring such variety and joy to life. Without that, life would be pretty dull. We wouldn't care what we ate, we would only be able to eat to fill our bellies.
In taking time to think about this, I am really grateful that there are lots of different foods in the world with lots of different flavors. I think that it is a great blessing for us. It really is an important part of our lives that I think we take for granted. I for one, have never thought of really how appreciative I am that I can taste. Now I want to go eat something delicious to celebrate this wonderful sense that I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment