Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Breathtaking Sights: Open your eyes



I hope that we have all had moments in our life that, because of their grandeur, beauty, or sheer awesomeness, have taken our breath away. It takes time to reflect and remember such moments. I think it is important to do, however, in order to realize just how blessed we are to live in such an incredible world.

I have had the opportunity to travel, mainly in the United States, ever since I was young. Some of the wonders that I have seen that have caused me to pause and simply take them in because of their greatness have been, Niagara Falls, Mount Rushmore, Les Miserable the musical, and fireworks in Boston on the fourth of July.

First, Niagara Falls. Just the immensity of it, I think is what overwhelmed me. The power and force of the cascading waves as they shoot downward, 4 million cubic feet on average, there is nothing like it in the world.

I think that is what makes a breathtaking scene, that there is nothing that can compare. For me another one of these is Mount Rushmore. Wow. How did they make that thing? It is just simply astounding. Some of the reasons I find it so amazing are that it took around 14 years to complete, was worked on by over 400 workers, cost approximately $990,000.000, and no one died in it's making. The technology wasn't as advanced back then either, as it began in 1927 and ended in 1941. Wow. What a sight.

Les Miserable has always been one of my favorite musicals. I saw Broadway perform it when I was 10 years old and I loved it. Everything about it I love, the story line, the characters, the music, the scenes, the emotion, the excitement. There is nothing like seeing a well done musical or play. I am so grateful that I can see, so that I can see such breathtaking works of creative art as this.

If you want to see a fireworks show, and I mean THE BEST FIREWORKS SHOW OF YOUR LIFE, then go to Boston on the fourth of July. After all, the Boston area is where it all began. The freedom we celebrate was fought for in that very place. I think that is part of the reason the experience is so grand. Also, it is on the Charles River and so the reflection of the fireworks adds a whole new dimension of mystique and beauty.

These are just a few, I could go on all day. But, readers please share, what are some of the breathtaking sights of your life? I would love to know so that I can maybe even experience some of the same magical moments of awe that you have experienced.

1 comment:

  1. I love Les Miserable too, it is a beautiful play. My cousin preformed as the older Cosette, and she took us back stage it was totally cool, people have some amazing talents. I love the early morning when it has just snowed, and nothing is moving outside.

    ReplyDelete