Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Take Time to Gaze

Helen Keller was not born deaf and blind. She contracted an illness when she was 19 months old that left her deaf and blind. In her article "Three Days to See" Keller explains how she would spend three days if she were blessed with eye sight. As part of the first day she says,

"I should take a long walk in the woods and intoxicate my eyes on the beauties of the world of Nature, trying desperately to absorb in a few hours the vast splendor which is constantly unfolding itself to those who can see."

When you look at nature do you think that you are viewing "vast splendor," as Keller puts it? Or is a tree just a tree and a leaf just a leaf? Not so my friends! We have been given a most beautiful world with all sorts of wonder and mystery to be unfolded before our view. But it is up to each of us to see it for what it really is...glorious! Here are a selection of beautiful scenes that I have seen in my life time. Take time to gaze at them, don't simply look, but gaze. If it helps, the definition of gaze according to dictionary. com is, "to look steadily and intently, as with great curiosity, interest, pleasure, or wonder."


4 comments:

  1. I just LOVE the first picture. Did you take it yourself? It is such a blessing that we all can see these magnificent views.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dohyup, except with all of the pictures. It definitely makes your article more "concrete" (I would gamble to bet that you are in a Persuasive Writing class or something). They make me think of your article and how Helen Keller wished so greatly to see what we see on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took all of these pictures. The first one I took in Boston at Nahant beach. The second is a waterfall at Battle Creek canyon and the last two are near Sundance, here in Utah as well.

    ReplyDelete