Tuesday, October 26, 2010



What do gasoline and fresh laundry have in common? Really nothing, except the fact that I like the smell of both. Imagine life without the sense of smell. O.k. sometimes it might be nice, like when you find those 3 week old leftovers in the back of the fridge. But imagine Christmas time without the sense of smell. What do we smell at Christmas time? Some of my Christmas memories include the scent of fresh cookies, pine trees, cinnamon sticks, hot cocoa, wet snow clothes, perfume and scented candles. Wow, I can smell Christmas just reading these words! One of my favorite Christmas scents is that of a special treat we have in my family every Christmas morning. They are a delicious type of cinnamon roles that smell oh so cinnamony sweet.

I’m getting ahead of myself moving on to Christmas so soon! Now, to address the scents that I mentioned in my first few sentences. I mentioned that I like the smell of gasoline and laundry. Not the two together of course. And, to clarify, I don’t love the smell of gasoline; I don’t like it if I have to smell it for too long. But for some reason, my olfactory senses are pleased every time I go and fill up the car. It’s strange but true.

So, what are some of your favorite smells? I’m curious to know. There are no wrong answers. We are all unique and can find great joys in the scents of the world around us. So, open your nose to the wonders that surround you!

5 comments:

  1. When I read the "3 week old leftovers in the back of the fridge" comment,I instantly started laughing because I have a nose like a dog. I once saved a bunch of people from potentially getting sick because I smelt what ended up being moldy smashed Oreos they had put all over their ice cream. Hahha...

    Okay! Favorite smells....three off the top of my head: Vanilla, camp fire from a distance, and the smell in the outside air right after it rains!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin cookies, campfire, the bath and body works scent "Plumeria", cherry blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite smells is vinegar, I know weird. But it's what we use to disinfect things at work and so to me it represents clean things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the smell of baked goods, citrus, Amber, vanilla and magnolias

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reminded every time I tell my fiance how something smells what it would be like to not be able to. His sense of smell comes briefly and goes quickly, more often than not he can't smell anything. He honestly does not know what he is missing.
    My favorite smells are decaying leaves, mornings after frost or snow, ginger, cut grass, cucumbers and watermelon.

    ReplyDelete